Your First Visit
Your First Visit
How does therapy help?
Depending on your present situation and your reasons for seeking help, there are many benefits to therapy.
If you are seeking diagnosis or treatment for a mental illness, therapy can help you better manage your symptoms, outbreaks, and triggers.
We look forward to getting to know you and helping you reach your therapy goals.
What to expect on your first visit?
Your first therapy session has two main goals:
1. Assess your circumstances
Therapy works in different ways for each individual. It depends on where you’re coming from, what stage of your life you’re in, how much effort you’re willing to put into working through your issues and more. We can help you ascertain patterns of behavior and help you communicate your problems and put them in a framework that helps you understand them better in the right context.
Sometimes, we experience problems that we may feel uncomfortable about discussing even with our closest friends and family. If you feel like you are a burden on your friends and family and are unable to manage symptoms of your mental illness alone, we can help. By customizing your treatment, we can work towards approaching your problems in a healthier and holistic way.
Some treatment options also involve practices and skills that you can apply outside of therapy in your life to help you work through your issues.
2. Build a relationship
It is integral to therapy that the therapist and client establish a relationship built on mutual values of trust, respect and honesty. In our first session, we spend some time getting to know each other unless there are urgent issues which need to be discussed. We will let you know about my professional qualifications and collect your history. This pertains to information about your family, life, childhood, career, and any past therapeutic services you have received.In order for you to feel safe and comfortable in this space, we are open to answering questions about us as well.
- We aim to provide you with a safe space where you can open up and be vulnerable without fear of judgment.
- We can also offer utmost compassion and understanding to help you understand and channel your emotions in our safe space.
- We offer relevant information on mental health issues which can help you frame your problem and find doable and practical issues.
- We offer complete confidentiality to protect your identity and mental health issue.
- We offer personal insight to help you identify patterns of behavior and emotional triggers or behavioral tendencies which can cause you to react to situations in a certain way.